Graduate Courses

Graduate students can take graduate courses from different specialty areas in civil and environmental engineering, from other departments in the College of Engineering, and from departments in other colleges at Auburn University based on the approval of the major advisor.

Some graduate courses are possibly offered for distance or outreach students, and those courses will have the same course number (e.g., CIVL 6260) as the on-campus option but have a unique section number "D01" ("D" stands for "Distance". Some special topic courses, e.g., CVIL 6970 or 7970, may have several corresponding distance sections, D01, D02, D03, ..., D09).

ABM students are only allowed to take civil and environmental engineering graduate courses. 

(1) Graduate course offerings by the civil and environmental engineering department can be found on the following website (all graduate courses are 6000 above

(2) You can register courses online using AU Access after you discuss and consult with your advisor what courses you should take.

(3) If you have difficulty registering a particular course, you can contact Debbie Tidwell by email ( for help.

(4) All graduate students should get approval from the student’s advisor about what courses they can take each semester.  All graduate courses that you take from Auburn University will be eventually evaluated by the student’s advisory committee when graduate courses are included in the official Plan of Study for the degree.  If you register/take courses without your advisor’s approval, those courses may not be approved by the advisory committee for the plan of study, therefore, those courses may not be counted towards the degree.

(5) All international students should register 9 credit hours as full-time students in each semester. Students may use the "Reduced Course Load" Form to get approval for taking fewer credit hours.  A Ph.D. student may take fewer credit hours after passing the qualifying exam. If an international student has a GRA/GTA/GA position, he/she has to register at least one credit hour in each semester (including summer), otherwise, taking classes in the summer is optional.

(6). The following Civil Engineering Special Topics courses (CIVL 6970/7970) have maximum limits for repeating up to 6 or 9 credit hours. Graduate students should follow these guidelines when they plan courses for their graduate study, otherwise, your plan of study may not be approved by the Graduate School since the course repeated more than 6 or 9 credit hours cannot be counted towards your degree.

CIVL 6970 CIVIL ENGINEERING SPECIAL TOPICS (3) LEC. 3. Departmental approval. Special topics of an advanced undergraduate nature pertinent to civil engineering. Specific prerequisites will be announced for each course offering. Credit will not be given for both CIVL 5970 and CIVL 6970. Course may be repeated for a maximum of 6 credit hours.

 CIVL 7970 SPECIAL TOPICS IN CIVIL ENGINEERING (1-3) LEC. Individual student or group endeavor under direct faculty supervision involving special topics of an advanced nature in civil engineering. Course may be repeated for a maximum of 9 credit hours.

(7). With departmental approval, up to 12 non-degree credit hours of graduate courses may be used toward the graduate degree.

Last Updated: 4/23/21 12:06 PM