College of EngineeringDepartment of Civil and Environmental EngineeringAcademicsGraduate Admission and Graduate Studies

Graduate Admission and Graduate Studies

best-grad-school image The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering offers graduate-level instruction and research programs leading to the degrees of Master of Civil Engineering (M.C.E.) (non-thesis), Master of Science (M.S.) with thesis and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.). The objectives of these programs are to provide qualified students an opportunity for advanced training and specialization and to enable them to gain experience in conducting engineering research and in the interpretation and communication of their findings. The department offers programs in construction engineering and management, environmental engineering, geotechnical engineering, pavements and materials, structural engineering, transportation engineering, and water resources engineering. Coursework may be taken outside the department in supportive disciplines such as applied statistics, building science, computer science or mathematics.

All applicants should have a bachelor's degree in civil and/or environmental engineering or a closely related field from an institute of recognized standing. The applicant can apply for Ph.D. program with or without M.C.E./M.S. degree in civil and environmental engineering or a closely related field. Additional work may be required for applicants who lack the necessary background. The general test of the graduate record examination is mandatory.

The presentation file of the  2021 graduate study information session gives useful information.

Additional course work for applicants with a degree from other specialty areas:

Additional course work may be prescribed as prerequisites upon faculty review and communicated with the student. The prerequisites must be completed before official admission to the graduate program. Qualified domestic students may be provisionally admitted, but these prerequisites must be completed within a certain time frame (usually within a year) to receive official admission. No provisional admission is available for international students. Please click on the linked pdf files for prerequisites of graduate admission relating to the  construction engineering and management environmental engineering,  water resources engineering, and  structural engineering programs.

Please review NCEES  Engineering Education Standard  for non-engineering degree students if you plan to take FE and PE exams in the future.

Students may have a campus visit during the spring semester:  Application form of campus visit

For more information, please contact:

Graduate program officer:

Xing Fang
Graduate Program Officer
Civil and Environmental Engineering Department
238 Harbert Engineering Center
Auburn University, AL 36849-5337