College of EngineeringDepartment of Industrial and Systems EngineeringResearchPh.D. Dissertations
Doctoral Degrees Awarded 2021
- Hu, Qiong, Optimization methods incorporating statistical and machine learning models in traffic safety. Current position: instructor, University of Colorado-Denver, Business School.
- Rasoolian, Behnam, Automating Interpretation of Images and Visual Inspections in Modern Manufacturing and Medical Settings.
- Rababah, Mumen Developing, Evaluating, and Comparing Multiple Parcel Delivery Networks Using Agent-Based Simulation. Current Posistion: Assistant Professor at The Hashemite University.
- Bandekar, Anjaneya, Exploring Associations Between Multiple Risk-Factors and Work-Related Musculoskeletal Disorders, Across Multiple Body Segments in an Automotive Manufacturing Environment. Current position: Environment, Health and Safety Specialist at Tesla.
- Jian, Mingho, Fatigue Properties and Reliability of SnAgCu-Bi Solder Joints in Varying Stress Amplitudes. Current position: Reliability Engineer at Vicarious.
- Lusk, Connor, The Impact of Stability Exercises on Core Muscle Imbalances and Subsequent Low Back Pain. Current position: Postdoctoral Scholar at Medical University of South Carolina.
- Capanoglu, Muhammet Fehmi, Measuring the Impact of Resistance Training on Core Muscle Effective Lever Arms and Improving Biomechanical Modeling.
Doctoral Degrees Awarded 2020
- Wang, Xing, On Advances in Deep Learning with Applications in Financial Market Modeling. Current position: software engineer, Splunk.
- Zhang, Xuanxuan, Challenges and Opportunities Associated with the Adoption of Wearable Technologies in the Workplace. Current position: Assistant Professor in the Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering in the Weisberg College of Engineering & Computer Sciences, Marshall University .
- Karakaya, Erhan, Container Handling and Layout Optimization in Empty Container Depots. Current position: Visiting Assistant Professor, Purdue University.
- Abueed, Mohammed, Effects of Creep and Fatigue on the Reliability of SnAgCu Solder Joints in Thermal Cycling. Current position: Automated Material Handling Systems (AMHS) Engineer, LTD at Intel Corporation in Hillsboro, OR.
- Aldubaisi, Ali, Equivalent Age-based Opportunistic Maintenance for Wind Farms. Current position: Postdoctoral Fellow at the University of South Carolina Upstate.
- Stutts, Isaac, Human Performance in Cyber-Vulnerable Highly Automated Unmanned Aerial Systems. Current position: Permanent Military Professor at U.S. Naval Academy, Affiliate Faculty member in the Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, Auburn University.
- Cho, Dongjin, Optimization of Off-grid Photovoltaic Systems. Current position: Republic of Korea Army.
- Reynolds, Rick, Using Symbolic Data Analysis to Detect Fraud, Waste and Abuse in Healthcare Claims Data. Current position: Director of Advanced Analytics, Health Plan Product, Service and Administration Applied Intelligence Solutions, Kaiser Permanente – National Claims Administration.
Doctoral Degrees Awarded 2019
- Gunter, Leslie Alan, Design Improvements for School Bus Emergency Systems. Advisor: Dr. Jerry Davis. Current Position: Senior Engineer, Lockheed Martin, Troy, Ala.
- Smith, Tianqi Gao, Impact of Rest and Secondary Intervention on the Development of and Recovery from Work-related Musculoskeletal Disorders in Human and Rat Models. Advisor: Dr. Sean Gallagher. Current position: Senior Health Services Analyst, Mayo Clinic.
- Gordon, Seth, Correlation Analysis and Visualizations on the Effects of Isothermal Again on Lead-Free Solders Under Thermal Cycling. Advisor: Dr. John Evans. Current Position: Reliability Research Scientist, Jet Propulsion Lab (JPL), Pasadena, Calif.
- Kalejahi, Nasrin Mohabbati, On Closed-loop Supply Chain and Routing Problems for Hazardous Materials Transportation with Risk-averse Programming, Robust Optimization and Risk Parity Current position: tenure-track assistant professor, Department of Information and Decision Sciences, at California State University, San Bernardino.
- Smith, Nicholas, In Vitro Tensile Fatigue of Human Flexor Digitorum Profundus and Superficialis Tendons. Current position: Ergonomist at Mayo Clinic, Rochester, M inn.
- Teran-Somohano, Alejandro, Patient-Centric Facility Design for Rehabilitation Hospitals. Current position: Operations Research Analyst at UPS Supply Chain Solutions, Alpharetta, Ga.
- Chapman, Jarrett, Using Pre-Deployment Planning for Maintaining Network Connectivity in MANET Models. Current position: Owner and Founder, Yud Hey Systems Modeling and Analytics LLC. NSF Bridge to the Doctorate Fellowship Awardee.
Doctoral Degrees Awarded 2018
Doctoral Degrees Awarded 2017
- Sridhar, Sharath, Accelerated Life-Cycle Testing of Various Lead-Free Solder Alloys by Mechanical Shock and Thermal Cycling Techniques. Advisor: Dr. John Evans. Current Position: Reliability Eng, Axon, Scottsdale, Ariz.
- Derhami, Shahab, Designing Optimal Layouts for Block Stacking Warehouses. Advisor: Dr. Jeffrey Smith. Current position: Senior Research Scientist, Georgia Institute of Technology.
- Lynch, Stephanie, Quantification of Ergonomic Risk Factors in Southeastern Logging Operations. Advisor: Dr. Richard Sesek.
- Mortaz, Ebrahim, Operational and Investment Solutions to Enhance the Transmission and Distribution Systems of the Electrical Grid. Advisor: Dr. Jorge Valenzuela. Current position: Assistant Professor, Pace University.
- Alhwiti, Theyab Atallah H, A Novel Method for Visualizing Keywords in Bibliometrics Science. Current Position: Operations Industrial Engineer, United States Postal Service, Greater Boston Area.
- Ozden, Sabahattin Gokhan, A Computational System to Solve the Warehouse Aisle Design Problem. Advisor: Dr. Alice Smith. Co-advisor: Dr. Kevin Gue, University of Louisville. Current position: Assistant Professor, Penn State Abington.
- Pentikis, John, Determination of Safe Guidelines for One-Hand Lifting. Advisor: Dr. Richard Sesek. Current position: Ergonomics Branch Chief, U.S. Army Public Health Center.
- Salar, Menekse, Validation of MRI-Derived Morphometric Estimations of Biomechanical Inputs to Improve Low Back Pain Risk Assessment. Advisor: Dr. Richard Sesek. Current position: Research Fellow at National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health Cincinnati, OH.
- Lee, Hung-Yu, Facility layout and emerging advanced material handling optimization. Advisor: Dr. Chase Murray. Current Position: Network Optimization Architect at Akamai Technologies in Cambridge, Mass .
- Li, Shaomao, Trading Strategies and Risk Management for Wind Power in the Electricity Market. Advisor: Dr. Chan Park, Current position: Structuring quantitative analyst for Just Energy in Houston.
- Cao, Li, Evaluation of Evacuation Performance Using Different Locomotive Postures. Advisor: Dr. Jerry Davis. Current position: EH&S Engineer - Ergonomist at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories (SEL).
- Zhao, Cong, Board Level Reliability of Lead-Free Solder Interconnections with Solder Doping Under Harsh Environment. Advisor: Dr. John Evans. Current position: DFM Engineer. Location is Cupertino, Calif .
- Weng, Bin, Application of machine learning techniques for stock market prediction. Advisor: Dr. Fadel Megahed. Current position: Amazon.
- Garnett, Richard, Revisiting the OSHA Hand Speed Constant. Advisor: Dr. Jerry Davis. Current position: Lecturer, Auburn University.
Doctoral Degrees Awarded 2016
- Sanders, Thomas, Extreme Environment Reliability of Components for Computing with SAC305 and Alternative High-Reliability Solders. Advisor: Dr. John Evans. Current position: JPL NASA.
- Kardel, Kamran, An analytical and experimental study on 3D-printed custom surfaces for benthic algal biofilms. Advisor: Dr. Andres L. Carrano. Current position: Assistant Professor, Georgia Southern University.
- Shen, Chaobo, Reliability of Aging in Microstructures for Sn-Ag-Cu Solder Joints with Different Surface Finishes during Thermal Cycling. Advisor: Dr. John Evans.
- Ekong, Joseph, Effect of Three Dimensional Substratum Features on Benthic Algal Biomass Productivity. Advisor: Dr. Andres L. Carrano. Current position: Assistant Professor, Northern Ohio University.
- Negahban, Ashkan, Application of Simulation and Optimization Approaches in Supply-Constrained Innovation Diffusion. Advisor: Dr. Jeffrey Smith. Current position: Assistant Professor, Penn State Great Valley.
- Carpenter, LuAnn, Development of Standard Data for Donning and Doffing Personal Protective Equipment. Advisor: Dr. Jerry Davis. Current position: Director, Student Program Assessment, Auburn University.
- Dag, Ali, A Data Driven Framework to Identify the Critical Variables, Visualize Their Conditional Relations and Predict the Outcomes of U.S. Heart Transplants. Advisor: Dr. Fadel Megahed. Current position: Assistant Professor, University of South Dakota.
- Gore, Patricia, Creating a Mission Architecture Step to Inform the System Engineering Process. Advisor: Dr. John Evans. Current position: MDA U.S. Government Huntsville.
- Abulhassan, Yousif, Evaluation of School Bus Emergency Evacuation Systems With Regard to Physical Capabilities of Young Children. Advisor: Dr. Jerry Davis. Current position: Assistant Professor, Murray State University.
- Sakinc, Eren, Manufacturing Cost Prediction in the Presence of Categorical and Numeric Design Attributes. Advisor: Dr. Alice Smith. Current position: Director of Business Strategy and Commercial Operations, Bayer Pharmaceuticals.
Doctoral Degrees Awarded 2015
- Ku, Chung Lin, Strategic Investment Decisions for Product Development Projects - An Option-Game Approach.
- Tsai, Yao Te, Towards the Identification of Predictor Variables for Highway Safety
- Jabarnejad, Masood, Operational and Investment Solutions for Dynamic Line Switching and Rating in Electrical Grid. Advisor: Dr. Jorge Valenzuela.
- Ozgormus, Elif, Optimization of Block Layout for Grocery Stores. Advisor: Dr. Alice Smith. Current position: Lecturer, David D. Reh School of Business, Clarkson University.
- Bissinger, Nancy, Cyberintrusion Detection in Critical Infrastructure. Advisor: Dr. Jorge Valenzuela. Current position: Retired.
Doctoral Degrees Awarded 2014
- Al Theeb, Nader A. B., An Integrated Logistics System for Effective Resource Distribution in Post-disaster Humanitarian Relief Operations.
- Hai, Zhou, Reliability of Lead-free Electronic Package Interconnections under Harsh Environment. Advisor: Dr. John Evans. Current position: Senior Reliability Engineer, Nvidia, Santa Clara, Calif.
- Kang, Wonseok, The Asymmetric Game Strategies Utilizing R&D Incentives under Uncertain Patent Race and Non-infringing Imitation.
- Mousavian, Seyedamirabbas, Optimization Models for Advanced Cyber-security in the Smart Grid. Advisor: Dr. Jorge Valenzuela. Current position: Assistant Professor, Clarkson University.
- Park, Seungbae, An evaluation Fraework and Decision-Making Model for Defense Acquisition Projects-Real Options and Multi-Criteria Decision Analysis (MCDA).
- Perr, Christopher W., Improving Usable Security and System Safety. Advisor: Dr. Jerry Davis. Current position: Computer Security Researcher, Sandia National Lab.
- Uludag, Onur, GridPick A High Density Puzzle Based Order Picking System with Decentralized Control .
Doctoral Degrees Awarded 2013
- Ceven, Erdem, Wave Release Strategies for Order Fulfillment Systems with Deadlines.
- Gungor, Celal, Prediction of the Erector Spinae Muscle Lever Arm Distance for Biomechanical Models . Advisor: Dr. Richard Sesek. Current position: Assistant Professor, Izmir Katip Celebi University, Izmir, Turkey.
- Helvaci, Dilcu, Generating Renewal Functions of Uniform, Gamma, Normal and Weibull Distributions for Minimal and Non Negligible Repair by Using Convolutions and Approximation Methods .
- Kabadurmus, Ozgur, Design of Resilient Heterogeneous Wireless Networks. Advisor: Dr. Alice Smith. Current position: Associate Professor at Yasar University, Lecturer at Clemson University, Deptartment of Industrial Engineering.
- Moyo, Yamkelani, Developing a Multidisciplinary Best Practice Manufacturing Education. Advisor: Dr. John Evans. Current position: Continental Motors.
- Ogutu, Jack Odunga, Modeling Human Perception of Postural Stress. Advisor: Dr. Richard Sesek. Current position: Associate. Prof. & OSEH Prog. Coordinator Dept. of Applied Engineering, Safety & Technology at Millersville University .
- Özgür, Özmen, Exploring the Impact of Socio-Technical Communication Styles on the Robustness and Innovation Potential of Global Participatory Science.
- Vijayakumar, The Effects of Thermal Aging on the Mechanical Behavior of Fine Pitch Electronics Packages. Advisor: Dr. John Evans. Current position: Johnson Control.
- Ruoliang “Rio” Tang, Morphometric Analysis of the Human Lower Lumbar Intervertebral Discs and Vertebral Endplates: Experimental Approach and Regression Models, Advisor: Dr. Richard Sesek, Current Position: Postdoc, Department of Occupational Science and Technology, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
Doctoral Degrees Awarded 2012
- Adams, Lamar D., Development of an Analytical Process to Measure Teacher Effectiveness Based on Student Growth to Augment an Educator Evaluation System.
- Barnes, Jeremy Lamar, Test Planning and Validation through an Optimized Kriging Interpolation Process in a Sequential Sampling Adaptive Computer Learning Environment.
- Zhang, Jiawei, The Effects of Aging on the Reliability of Lead Free Fine-Pitch Electronics Packaging . Advisor: Dr. John Evans. Current position: Qualcomm.
Doctoral Degrees Awarded 2011
- Ballard, Kandace N., Emergency Management Strategies for the Retail Industry. Advisor: Dr. John Evans. Current position: Qualcomm.
- Bell, Richard C., A Distribution-Free Control Chart for Retrospective Location Analysis of Subgrouped Multivariate Data.
- Ozturkoglu, Omer, New Warehouse Designs Angled Aisles and Their Effects on Travel Distance.
- Pitiruek, Komkrit, An Operating Model and Economic Analysis for Integrating Wind Electric Power in Manufacturing. Advisor: Dr. Jorge Valenzuela.
Doctoral Degrees Awarded 2010
- Boelhouwer, Eric, GHS in the USA Effects of Pictograms, Signal Words, and Performance Based Qualifiers on Hazard Communication . Advisor: Dr. Jerry Davis. Current position: Dorris and Associates Inc.
- Lee, Hwainsik, Decision Models for a Two-Stage Supply Chain Planning under Uncertainty with Time-Sensitive Shortages and Real Option Approach .
- Li, Zhaozhi, A Novel Three Dimensional Wafer Level Chip Scale Packaging Technology-Manufacturing Process Development and Reliability Characterizations . Advisor: Dr. John Evans. Current position: INTEL.
- Liu, Wei, Activated Carbon Fiber Filter Media for Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell.
- Peters, Kim Y., A Markov Chain Dynamic Social Network Modeling and Simulation to Assess the Impact of out-of-School Suspensions on Dropouts and Truancy. Advisor: Dr. Jorge Valenzuela.
- Watts, Bobbie Jo, The Effect of Varying Work Order Sequences on Physiological Responses in Combined Manual Material Handling. Advisor: Dr. Jerry Davis. Current position: Zone Manager of Ergonomic, Michelin North America .
Doctoral Degrees Awarded 2009
- Cho, Younchol, Optimizing Military Tactical MANETs Efficiently Using PSO. Advisor: Dr. Alice Smith and Dr. Jeffrey Smith. Current position: Career Officer, South Korean Navy .
- Gray, Michael David, Data Mining Medication Administration Incident Data to Identify Opportunities for Improving Patient Safety.
- Kandaswaamy, Sakthivael, Thermal Field Mapping Technique for Friction Stir Process.
- Kim, Byung Soo, Dynamic Slotting and Cartonization Problem in Zone-Based Carton Picking Systems.
- Kim, Hyun Ho, Modeling Service Performance and Dynamic Worker Allocation Policies for Order Fulfillment Systems.
- Liu, Heping, Taylor Kriging Metamodeling for Simulation Interpolation, Sensitivity Analysis and Optimization.
- Piper, Adam Kelly, Participatory Design of Warning Symbols Using Distributed Interactive Evolutionary Computation. A dvisor: Dr. Jerry Davis. Current position: Associate Professor, South Dakota School of Mines.
- Sarpkaya, Gokhan, A Floor Space Valuation Method for Automotive Electronics Manufacturing. Advisor: Dr. John Evans.
- Siriruk, Pavee, Cournot Competition under Uncertainty in Power Markets. Advisor: Dr. Jorge Valenzuela.
- Ustun, Volkan, Human Behavior Representation in Physical Security Systems Simulation.
Doctoral Degrees Awarded 2008
- Balci, Huseyin Hakan, Valuation of Power Generation Investments in Deregulated Capacity Markets. Advisor: Dr. Jorge Valenzuela.
- Huang, Ching- ying, Comparing the Overlapping of Two Independent Confidence Intervals with a Single Confidence Interval for Two Normal Population Parameters.
- Maddela, Madhurima, Design of MEMS-Based Tunable Antennas, Organic Transistors and MEMS-Based Organic Control Circuits.
- Muhdi, Rani, The Development and Representation of Occupant Performance in Building Evacuation Modeling. A dvisor: Dr. Jerry Davis.
- Taskin, Selda, Supply Chain Planning for Hurricane Response with Information Updates.
- Yapicioglu, Haluk, Retail Spatial Design with a Racetrack Aisle Network Considering Revenue and Adjacencies. Advisor: Alice Smith. Current position: Associate Professor, Eskisehir Technical University, Eskisehir, Turkey.
- Yucekaya, Ahmet D., Electric Power Bidding Models for Competitive Markets. Advisor: Dr. Jorge Valenzuela.
- Zhang, Duoxing, Real Options Evaluation of Financial Investment in Flexible Manufacturing Systems in the Automotive Industry. Advisor: Dr. John Evans. Current position: EXXON Mobile.
Doctoral Degrees Awarded 2007
- Dengiz, Orhan, Maximizing Connectivity and Performance in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks Using Mobile Agents . Advisor: Alice Smith. Current position: Founder and President, DVM Technologies, Ankara, Turkey.
- Han, Hyun Jin, Estimating Project Volatility and Developing Decision Support System in Real Options Analysis.
- Holman, Grady Talley, Patient Handling Restrictions & Conditions.
- Kaymaz, Pinar, Electric Power Generation Expansion in Deregulated Markets. Advisor: Dr. Jorge Valenzuela.
Doctoral Degrees Awarded 2006
- Godbey, Jessie Franklin, The Effects of Behavior-Based Safety Techniques on Behavior Variation, Targeted and Non-Targeted Safe Behaviors, and Productivity and Quality in Manufacturing Facilities. Advisor: Dr. Robert Thomas. Current position: Associate Professor, Jacksonville State University.
- Jordan, Victoria Spooner, The Optimum Upper Screening Limit and Optimum Mean Fill Level to Maximize Expected Net Profit in the Canning Problem for Finite Continuous Distributions.
- Sozer, Sevin, Transmission Expansion Planning to Alleviate Congestion in Deregulated Power Markets.
- Yang, Yanchun, Knapsack Problems with Setup.
Doctoral Degrees Awarded 2005
- Abuelenin, Sherif Mohamed, Developing a Magnetically Suspended Disc System for Industrial Applications, with Application on Ring Spinning.
- Hwang, Inkew, “The Use of Real and Financial Options in Long-Term International Weapon Transaction Contracts.”