College of EngineeringDepartment of Industrial and Systems EngineeringAcademicsUndergraduateCurrent StudentsAccelerated Bachelor's/Master's Program

Accelerated Bachelor's/Master's Program

This program allows high-achieving students to begin work on a master’s degree during their senior year of their undergraduate program. Specifically, the program allows students to take three INSY graduate classes in place of two INSY electives and one technical elective and to count the courses (9 total hours) for both degrees.  Grades of B or better must be earned in all double-counted, graduate level courses.  This program allows students to receive the master’s degree after only 22 hours beyond the bachelor’s degree (rather than the normal 31 hours).

Application Process

Students will apply for the program after completion of INSY 3420 and INSY 3700, usually taken in their junior year. Applications are open year-round. Students accepted into the program must have overall and in-major GPAs of at least 3.0 and must maintain that until undergraduate graduation.  Students must have between 45 and 96 hours (24 hours at Auburn for transfer students). Approval for the program is by the Student Services Coordinator (Branden Farmer), Program Coordinator (Dr. LuAnn Carpenter), and the Graduate School (Donna Ryan).  Please see the link for more information. (

Program Matriculation

Students matriculate in the accelerated program through enrollment in graduate level (6000+) courses.  The Graduate School enrolls the students with the help of the department. Students still have to be admitted to the Graduate School after their undergraduate degree is earned.  Students complete the online application for the master's degree and pay the application fee.  The application is not the same one that was completed for the ABM.  

Academic Advising

All undergraduate students in Industrial and Systems Engineering must meet with the academic advisor each semester and this practice will apply to students in the accelerated program. Graduate students will have a major professor directing their project/thesis research or will meet with the Graduate Program Coordinator if they are taking the course work only MISE option.