header image

Pulp and Paper Graduate Certificate

Apply Now Available Online
Download Flyer

Why this certificate?

The Pulp and Paper Graduate Certificate, offered through the Department of Chemical Engineering, is available to both degree and non-degree-seeking students who are interested in continuing their education but may not be ready to commit to a master's degree program. A student who earns the certificate will demonstrate an advanced level of understanding in pulp and paper engineering that can be applied in their area of specialty.

You are eligible to apply if...

  • Those who hold a relevant bachelor's degree or equivalent from an accredited institution are eligible (exceptions may be approved if the student has the background needed to succeed in the graduate engineering courses).
  • There is no GRE requirement.

To complete the program you must...

  • Complete four courses (12 credit hours) in Chemical Engineering graduate (6000/7000/8000 level) course work, including the core courses:
    • CHEN 6090 Pulp and Paper Technology  3 hours
    • CHEN 6110 Pulp and Paper Engineering  3 hours 
    • CHEN 6970 Special Topics in Pulp and Paper Technology  3 hours
  • Complete one of the following elective courses:
    • CHEN 6800 Biochemical Engineering  3 hours
    • CHEN 6410 Macromolecular Science and Engineering  3 hours

*View a complete CHEN course list and course descriptions. Graduate courses are those listed as level ”6000” and up. Those that are also offered online have a corresponding listing with a course section beginning in "D" (e.g., CHEM7300 Dxx). The course section will change from term to term. 

What can you expect?

  • Students who complete the graduate certificate will have an increased specialized knowledge in pulp and paper science and engineering.
  • If a student chooses to pursue a master's degree, all academic credit earned from the certificate may be applied toward the chemical engineering graduate degree.

Applying for the Pulp and Paper Graduate Certificate